Chicken Chow Mein is a classic recipe from my childhood. I love making recipes that were passed onto me by family. This one comes from my Aunt Beulah, and we have enjoyed it so many times throughout the years. I decided to make this for my son, and he absolutely loved it.
Chicken Chow Mein:
This homemade version of the classic take out is easy to make and more affordable too. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Start off by cooking your chicken with a little sesame oil. Then add your onions, carrot and celery to the skillet. You can also add mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots or other Asian veggies. Then add your chicken broth. You will make a paste with your corn starch and chicken broth which will thicken the dish. Finally, you will add your soy sauce (or coconut amino acid), ginger and brown sugar. We like to serve this with rice and chow Mein noodles.
Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 skillet with lid
- 2 cups chicken breast, cut up into chunks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 TBSP onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut up fine or grated
- 4 whole celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 TBSP soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 can chow mein noodles
- 1 TBSP Sesame oil
- Cook chicken in skillet with a little sesame oil. Remove when done and set aside.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to the skillet and cook until tender. You can also add 1 can slicked mushrooms, sliced water chestnuts, bamboo shoots or other veggie.
- Add chicken broth. Except 1/4 cup.
- In reserved broth add 1/4 cup corn starch and make into a thin paste.
- Add to the skillet and stir.
- Add soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar.
- Cook until thickens over medium heat. Add chicken.
- Serve over rice and top with chow mein noodles and more soy sauce if desired.
Asian Inspired Recipes:
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.