Flip Flop Cake
I am in love with summer. I would gladly wear flip flops all year long if our weather permitted. In honor of summer we have created the ultimate cake to celebrate! The flip flop cake is perfect for summer parties, birthdays and if you are a Jimmy Buffett fanatic like me, then it is perfect for tailgating before a Jimmy Buffett concert. I hope you enjoy this fun cake as much as I do.
All of the ingredients for this are store bought. I love the already dyed blue and pink icing I found. It makes making this step a breeze. If you want to make your own icing you are welcome to do that too!
Bake the cake according to the package instructions for a 13×9 baking pan. Once the cake is baked and cooled, cut the cake in half long ways. Use a sharp knife to cut each half of the cake into a flip flop shape. You can eyeball it.
After the cake is cut, cover each flip flop with a crumb coat of icing. This is a thin layer of icing that keeps all the crumbs in place and out of your finished cake. After you cover it with a crumb coat, pop the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before you continue to decorate.
Finally you can ice the cakes with any color frosting you choose. Decorate with candies. I chose Sprees. Make the flip flop straps by using Fruit Roll Ups or Fruit By the Foot. Fold it in half to double the thickness. Cut them to about 4-5 inches in length and place on the cake. You can get as creative as you want with the rest of the decorating. This is a perfect Flip Flop Cake!
Flip Flop Cake
- 1 Box Cake Mix prepared according to package
- 2 Tubs Frosting
- Candy for Decorating
- Fruit Roll Ups
- Bake cake in a 13x9 pan according to the package.
- Cool cake completely and cut it in half lengthwise. Use a sharp knife to cut each half of the cake into the shape of a flip flip.
- Place a thin layer of icing on each flip flop called a crumb coat. This does not need to be perfect. It is just a base coat. Place cake in the fridge at least 30 minutes to let the crumb coat set.
- Now you can continue to frost and decorate the cake. Frost the sides and tops of the flip flops with any color frosting you would like. Place the candies around the sides. Cut the fruit roll ups into 5 inch strips and use them to create the straps of the flip flops.
I added brown sugar to represent the sand. You could also use graham cracker crumbs. This Flip Flop Cake is so much fun for summer! It would be a great birthday party cake if you have a summer birthday.
Recipes You May Enjoy:
All American Bacon Cheeseburger
StockpilingMoms can be found in all your favorite places! Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun! We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day! Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit StockpilingMoms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog!
Melissa is a football and soccer mom who has been married to her best friend for 24 years. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.
This is a fun summer treat! We like to make it for pool parties!