Homemade tomato soup is perfect on a cold winter day with a grilled cheese! It’s cold outside and soup is perfect to help you warm up. My family loves when I make grilled cheese and pepper sandwiches with this soup. I like to tear my grilled cheese sandwich and dip it in my soup, do you???
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cans 14.5 ounces each diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-low heat.
- Add chopped onion and celery; cook, stirring, until tender.
- Stir flour into the vegetable mixture, stirring until well incorporated.
- Gradually stir in milk and add the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Dice tomatoes smaller or puree in a blender or processor, if desired.
- Heat tomatoes in a separate saucepan then gradually add them to the first mixture, stirring constantly.
- For a smooth and creamy mixture puree soup or serve as is (I prefer to use my immersion blender and make it smooth)
Be sure to check out these other recipes:
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.