Here are Tips for Hosting a Successful Yard Sale. It is nearing yard sale season! Do you like to shop at yard sales or host your own? Enjoy these tips for hosting a successful yard sale. My sister, Laurel is a yard sale expert and I asked her to share with me some tips for having a successful yard sale. She hosts several a year and does really well. I asked her to share with me some of her tips and I am excited to share them with you!
Tips for Hosting a Successful Yard Sale
1. Price everything reasonably. When you set your prices think of what you would pay for the item before you price it. Affordable items sell!
2. Price everything beforehand. There is nothing worse than going to yard sales where nothing is priced. Try to put your items out in reasonably neat piles or on tables when possible. There is nothing worse than going to a yard sale where everything is just thrown on the ground, and you have to dig through it.
3. Be sure to have plenty of advertising. Put it in your local newspaper, and put plenty of signs up, it pays off.
4. Expect people to come earlier than your advertised starting time so be prepared. Always have your tables and boxes set out under the tables the night before and pre-priced so it doesn’t take long to set it all out.
5. Get a change box. Have plenty of change beforehand so you can give the first couple of customers the change they need.
6. Recruit help. Never do one by yourself. Have at least one person to help you.
7. Put up a canopy for shade. This will draw attention to your yard sale and people appreciate being able to shop in the shade, especially when it is hot outside.
8. Don’t have your yard sale on the porch unless that is the only place you have. People are less likely to stop if it is in the garage also.
9. Offer baked goods or drinks for something extra or different. Know when to pack it in, time wise and when it looks kind of scraggly and you don’t have much left outside.
10. Also watch young children and pets. It is best not to allow children to be out for safety reasons, especially when you get busy and never allow animals out for liability and safety concerns.
Do you have any tips for hosting a successful yard sale?