Savory Cabbage Soup is absolutely divine! Especially when you are not feeling well, or you want something healthy to eat on throughout the day that does not have a lot of calories. This soup will smell so good when cooking, it will have your taste buds going crazy. My husband was not sure of he would like this when I told him what I was making for dinner. He was very pleasantly surprised to like it so much. He has already asked me to make it again!
Savory Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 cup of cured meat use bacon, diced ham, turkey sausage, or pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole onion diced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 whole large carrot
- 1/2 head cabbage sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups or 1 can white beans (Northern Italian or Cannelini)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- dash Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions, celery, garlic, and carrots in olive oil.
- Once onions are translucent, add your choice of cured meat (If you decide to use bacon, it will need to be added to the vegetables about 2-3 minutes after they have been cooking, so that it can cook to - any other cured meat will already be cooked and can be added after vegetables are cooked through).
- After bacon has cooked for 2-3 minutes, add in cabbage.
- Cook on medium heat in stock pot, stirring constantly.
- Cook until cabbage cooks down and gets soft (If it looks too dry, add more olive oil.)
- It will begin to caramelize, so be sure that you are stirring up all the caramelization from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the bay leaf, diced tomatoes, white beans, and 32 ounces of broth.
- Bring to a rolling boil and then turn down to simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and toasted baguettes if desired.
STOCKPILINGMOMS FAVORITE DESSERTS
Hot Fudge Ice Cream Delight is one of my family favorites!
Death By Chocolate Trifle Dessert is for all our chocolate lovers out there.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake only takes 15 minutes to prepare and then throw it in the oven!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites for all the chocolate chip cookie lovers! Who doesn’t like a chocolate chip cookie?
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.