How To Make Buckeyes
How To Make Buckeyes. One of my favorite candies at Christmas time is homemade buckeyes. My Mom makes them every year and they are amazing! Of course, you can’t go wrong with the combination of peanut butter and chocolate. If you have never made them before they are better than any Reese’s product. Oh, so good! They get their name from the buckeye nut that they resemble but they are much better that is for sure!
You can make these in advance to the holidays and they keep really well in the refrigerator between wax paper in an airtight container. They also make great gifts too! Be sure to double the batch because they won’t last long, they are that good!
How To Make Buckeyes
- 1 1/2 cups Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (not melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 12 oz. package (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening
- You can use bakers chocolate or almond bark instead of chocolate chips/shortening
- Combine peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on LOW until blended.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating until blended.
- Beat in additional powdered sugar until mixture, when shaped into a ball, will stay on a toothpick. Shape into 1-inch balls. Refrigerate.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on MEDIUM for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until mixture is smooth. Reheat as needed while coating peanut butter balls but he sure NOT to burn.
- (You can use bakers chocolate or almond bark instead of chocolate chips/shortening)
- Insert toothpick in peanut butter ball. Dip 3/4 of ball into chocolate, leaving top uncovered to resemble a buckeye.
- Remove excess. Place on wax paper-lined tray. Remove toothpick. Smooth over holes. Refrigerate until firm.
Paula Deen’s Peach Cobbler – Pinned 225,500 to Pinterest! Hands down our most popular dessert recipe on the blog! You have to give it a try.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake – Pinned 13,800 times to Pinterest! So easy to make and everyone will love this one. It is festive too with the cherries.
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.
Uhmm… YUMMY ~ thank you for sharing!
My favorite dessert at Christmas!