Hi everybody! I’m so thrilled to be sharing this amazing Gluten Free Strawberry Scones breakfast recipe with you here on Stockpiling Moms! If you’re new to using gluten free recipes, let me just encourage you with the short version of my story.
When we were first married, I didn’t have a clue how to cater to my husband’s Celiac Disease. Gluten-free food wasn’t nearly as popular then as it is now, so good recipes were a little more scarce, and I shied away from all bread-type recipes for a long time.
We were on a really tight budget (still are!), so buying bread at $3 or more per loaf wasn’t an option. The guilt finally got to me and I began experimenting with baking. Long story short, after many attempts, and lots of failures, and finally beginning to grasp some basic food science, I can honestly say that creating gluten free recipes is now something that I do for fun. So take heart gluten-free baker! Know that practice does make perfect, and more importantly, that failed bread and biscuit recipes almost always make great croutons or breadcrumbs.
These gluten free strawberry scones are a good example of getting better with time. Two years ago, I wouldn’t have attempted them. My first batch of scones was crumbly, the second one too dense, and on and on until, finally hitting on a delicious scones recipe.
This recipe is even better. To tell the truth, I didn’t expect to strawberry part to be all that thrilling. Have you ever eaten a cooked strawberry? It seems like they’re always too tart. But these weren’t! Every juicy bite of strawberry is sweetly divine! I am so proud that I can say that the biscuit holding the strawberries, is light, fluffy, moist, and holds together well. I credit a lot of that to the flour mix in this recipe, so you might want to check that out!
Gluten Free Strawberry SconesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar + 1 Tablespoon for sprinkling
- ¾ teaspoon guar or xanthan gum
- 2 ½ Tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 Tablespoons milk + more for brushing tops
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Mix dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, gum).
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs – pulsing in a food processor is perfect for this.
- Add egg, and milk, and mix together.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Turn dough onto a piece of parchment paper, and using a floured rolling pin or hands, press into a ¾ to 1 inch disc.
- Brush top with milk.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of sugar.
- Cut into wedges, and separate slightly – or you can completely if you desire.
- Place in the center of the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the bottom edges are beginning to turn golden.
- Serve warm.
10 Gluten Free Freezer Meals
Crockpot Butternut Squash Chili (Reader Favorite)
Slow Cooker Honey Pork Chops and Apples (Melissa’s Favorite)
Homemade Frozen Shredded Hash Browns (Easy Side Dish Recipe)
Crockpot 3 Ingredient Chicken & Sweet Potatoes (Reader Favorite)
Crockpot Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew (Melissa’s Favorite)