Fireflies in a Jar Craft
Mason jar crafts are some of my favorites! This little Fireflies in a Jar craft is a great project that is just tons of fun! I love adding things like this to the mantle or even on the bookshelves around my home. It’s a great way to add beauty and a hint of nature to your day, and super easy to create with supplies you probably already have on hand.
Fireflies in a Jar Craft
Growing up, catching fireflies in the yard in summer was a favorite activity. I always wanted to bring them in and keep them but fireflies don’t last very long in a jar, and really, it’s not so kind to capture them and keep them from their natural habitat. This craft is a great way to add that same pretty light in my room that flickers and looks magical, without worrying about finding a firefly live in my yard.
How Can I Personalize My Fireflies in a Jar?
If you don’t have all of these supplies on hand, that’s okay! The biggest thing to remember for this is that you want the lights to shine through the jar. It’s a simple craft that is super easy to personalize and is a great addition to any room.
Get creative and add things like dots of glow in the dark paint along the lid, or a pretty ribbon around the top. You could put a few little fairy toys in the jar, or even add some butterflies or flowers. Just have fun! Crafts like these are designed to lift your spirits and give you something fun to do with easy to find and inexpensive craft supplies.
- Mason jar with lid
- Battery operated twinkle or fairy lights
- Crafting moss
- Crafting mushrooms
How to Make a Fireflies in a Jar Craft
1. Begin by taking the craft moss and stretching it out so you can mold it to fit inside of the jar. Place a layer of craft moss in the jar and adjust it to sit as you would like.
2. Add some small mushrooms for additional décor. You can use craft mushrooms or mini fairy garden mushrooms.
3. You don’t need to glue these in place as they typically have small stakes on them. We pressed the stakes right into the moss until they were snug and secure.
4. Unwrap the twinkle lights and unravel them. Gently tuck them into the jar. As you tuck them in, be sure to leave the on/off controller out of the jar.
5. Replace the lid on the jar. Allow the twinkle light switch to rest outside of the jar.
6. When you are ready to activate your fireflies in a jar, just turn the twinkle lights on! The jar will glow and look like it is full of fireflies.
More Fun Crafts
- Mason Jar Lid Fairy Lights
- DIY BOHO Decorative Basket
- Decorative Lemon Slices
- Patriotic Mason Jar Candle Holder
- Tissue Paper Craft Stick Flag
- Farmhouse Hello Wreath
Melissa is a football and soccer mom who has been married to her best friend for 24 years. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.