The one thing I grieve most is afternoon tea with my mom. Now we don’t have to miss out because we have this Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Scones recipe! This is a very plain recipe, so feel free to add currents, cinnamon or other flavors to make it your own. You can also serve with clotted cream, lemon curd or preserves and of course a cup of tea and you are set for an afternoon treat!
Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Scones
- 1 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 2 1/4 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp light coconut milk canned
- White sugar for dusting tops
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, salt in a large bowl.
- Cut the vegetable shortening in, using a potato masher or pastry blender, until shortening is pea-sized.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of egg in small bowl and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk to the eggs and beat to combine.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Pour the liquid into it. Combine the ingredients with a few swift strokes. (Handle the dough as little as possible.)
- Place dough onto lightly floured board. Pat until 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut dough with a knife into diamond shapes.
- Place shapes on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush dough with reserved egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.