California Cream Cheese Sushi Roll
California Cream Cheese Sushi Roll is my all time favorite to enjoy. I am so lucky that my husband loves sushi as much as me and that we can enjoy eating sushi together. I attended a Sushi Making Party last month and was excited to learn how to make it.
I couldn’t believe how easy it is! If you love sushi then you need to give this a try. By making Sushi at home you can save yourself a ton of money too!
Did you know that you can freeze cream cheese? It works great and saves money! I like to purchase cream cheese in bulk on sale and stockpile it for recipes. Check out this post Can You Freeze Cream Cheese to find out how! It is a great money saving tip for this recipe.
California - Cream Cheese Sushi Roll
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 8 sheets nori dry seaweed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 whole cucumber cut into thin spears
- 2 whole carrots cut into thin spears
- 2 whole avocados - pitted peeled, and sliced the long way
- 1/2 cup imitation crabmeat finely chopped
- 1 block cream cheese cut into long strips about 1/4 inch thick
- Wash the rice in several changes of water until the rinse water is no longer cloudy, drain well, and place in a covered pan or rice cooker with 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover the pan.
- Allow the rice to simmer until the top looks dry, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let stand for 10 minutes to absorb the rest of the water.
- Mix the rice vinegar and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved, and stir the mixture into the cooked rice until well combined.
- Allow the rice to cool, and set aside.
- To roll the sushi, cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap or ziploc bag.
- Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic wrap or on the ziploc bag.
- With wet fingers, firmly pat a thin, even layer of prepared rice over the nori, leaving 1/4 inch uncovered at the bottom edge of the sheet.
- Sprinkle the rice with about 1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds, and gently press them into the rice.
- Carefully flip the nori sheet over so the seaweed side is up or if you want the nori on the outside leave it as it is.
- Place 1 long strip of cream cheese about 1/4 inch thick along the seam, 2 or 3 long cucumber spears, 2 or 3 carrot spears, 2 or 3 slices of avocado, and about 1 tablespoon of imitation crab in a line across the nori sheet, about 1/4 from the uncovered edge.
- Pick up the edge of the bamboo rolling sheet, fold the bottom edge of the sheet up, enclosing the filling, and tightly roll the sushi into a cylinder about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Once the sushi is rolled, wrap it in the mat and gently squeeze to compact it tightly.
- Cut each roll into 1 inch pieces with a very sharp knife dipped in water.
Here are some Clean Eating recipes that you may enjoy:
Apple Cinnamon Metabolism Water
Banana Peanut Butter Wrap :: Clean Eating
Shelley is a boy mom, marine wife, and is blessed with an amazing family. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.
I noticed the cream cheese wasn’t in the recipe but shows it in the picture. What do we do with it?
Sorry about that! You cut strips and place along the seam. You can make them as large or small as you want. I do about 1/4 of an inch. I will update recipe too! Thanks!
Yummy! I love sushi. I need to add cream cheese to my sushi roll. This recipe probably be awesome with some smoked salmon too! Thanks:)