5 Ways to Thank Veterans All Year Long. Veterans Day is right around the corner. On November 11th we will honor military veterans. This includes all persons who served in the United States Armed Forces. Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day; Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day honors those who died while in military service. This is a day to give THANKS to all who have served to protect our freedom. I have a very special veteran in my life. My father-in-law. He still serves his country as the American Legion East Tennessee Vice Commander. We are so proud of Papaw, and we love him so much not only for his service but for his Patriotism and lifelong dedication to our country.
As part of its long-standing commitment to supporting veterans and military families, Sears is bringing back its Heroes at Home program for the holiday season to immediately assist low-income veterans who are in urgent need of wheelchair accessibility ramps at their homes. Sears is teaming up with Rebuilding Together, a leading national nonprofit in safe and healthy housing. They will assist veterans who are in need of a wheelchair accessibility ramp for their home.
Now through November 19th, shoppers can donate when they check out at any Sears store, online via a link at sears.com/heroesathome or by purchasing a limited-edition Sears products, and 100 percent of their donation will go to Rebuilding Together, which will fund urgent upgrades in December to military families in need. What a great partnership! We are so proud to work with Sears to spread the word.
Sears also introduced limited-edition products for the holiday season that give back to Heroes at Home with every purchase, including:
- Kenmore Patriotic Pair – A Kenmore 4.3 cu. ft. top load washer and Kenmore 7.0 cu. ft. white dryer w/ Smart Dry Plus are designed, engineered and assembled in the U.S.A. Both feature a unique American flag design embedded in the console. Sears is donating $40 from the in-store or online purchase of each qualifying washer or dryer, up to $200,000.
- Heroes at Home Ornament – These collectible moose and bear Christmas ornaments are the perfect addition to any holiday décor. With every qualifying in-store or online purchase, Sears will donate $1 with a minimum donation of $20,000.
- Craftsman Hat – Show love for the Craftsman brand and support veterans with this limited-edition Craftsman Heroes at Home beanie. Sears will donate $1 from the in-store or online purchase of each qualifying hat with a minimum donation of $4,000.
In addition, year-round, Sears offers active, reserve or retired military personnel or military spouses’ 20 percent off regular-priced (five percent off sale-priced) tools and lawn and garden products, with a valid military ID or military spouse ID. Sears is also hosting its Veterans Day sale 11/3-11/19 in-store and online, a perfect opportunity for shoppers to beat the Black Friday rush and get a jump-start on their holiday shopping. This is a great time to stock up on Christmas gifts and give back to Veterans.
According to the 2014 U.S. Census there are over 21.8 million veterans in the United States. Veterans Day is the one day set aside each November to honor those millions of men and women who have served and continue to serve our nation. The day also offers a great opportunity to educate the public about the sacrifice service members and their families make year-round. As Veterans Day approaches we encourage you to take a moment to reflect on the true purpose of Veterans Day by thanking the men and women who have served and continue to serve in our armed forces.
5 Ways To Thank Veterans All Year Long:
- Thank a Veteran – Every single time I see a Veteran or service person I thank them. I know this sounds simple but I go up to the service person and shake their hands and say thank you for your service. I started doing this a few years ago and it is something that my son sees me do. I hope it carries onto him. Those words and act of gratitude costs us nothing but it can be so powerful.
- Buy a Veteran a drink or meal (and consider doing it anonymously). Some Veterans are uncomfortable with public displays of gratitude.
- Visit Veterans in nursing homes – just spend time talking and listening with them. So many of our older Veterans have incredible stories to tell. Listen to their stories and then pass them on.
- Fly an American Flag Properly – My husband installed a flag pole and takes great pride in flying the American Flag at our home.
- Adopt A US Soldier – This is a non-profit organization that seeks volunteers to help show the brave men and women fighting for our freedom that their sacrifices will not go unnoticed. It connects supportive civilians with deployed troops and offers a channel by which to communicate encouragement and express gratitude to those brave men and women serving in the United States Armed Forces.
Right now you can also give back through the Sears’ Heroes at Home for the Holidays program by shopping for a deserving veteran or military personal in your life. If you don’t know one personally you can consider contacting your local American Legion or State American Legion Office. Please be sure to contact your local VA hospital to see what they are in need of but these are some ideas to get you started.
Some items that that could be donated to local VA Hospitals include:
Composition books, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, coloring books (adult), model airplanes (snap together), paint by numbers, puzzles books, flip flops, sweatpants and sweat shirts, sketch pads, small calendar notepads, Chapstick, underwear (briefs), t-shirts, socks, non-skid socks, house shoes, tennis shoes, Xbox games, cue sticks, chalk, Some need bicycles so the patients can go for job interviews on their own.
UPDATE: Giveaway is CLOSED
The Winner Is: kelly t
We have a $100 Sears gift card to giveaway so that one Stockpiling Moms follower can pay it forward. We encourage you to shop at Sears during the Heroes for the Holidays program and give back to a Veteran. The giveaway ends on 11/16/16.
Tell us how you will celebrate Veterans Day on 11/11/16.
Make as many entries as long as they are about Veterans Day or shopping at Sears.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Sears. All opinions are 100% my own.