Un-Stuffed Bell Pepper Skillet
November is here and the weather is getting colder, which means it’s time for homemade hot meals. If you are like me your life is busy. When it comes to dinner time, I need a recipe that I can prepare quickly and preferably in one dish. This Un-Stuffed Bell Pepper Skillet recipe makes clean up easy and doesn’t interfere with my busy schedule.
From lasagna to spaghetti to chili, warm dishes are a go-to fall comfort favorite. This fall we were challenged by Johnsonville Sausage to ramp up our classic recipes traditionally made with ground beef by switching to ground sausage. Did you know that Johnsonville’s Ground Italian Sausage is all natural and come in Mild, Hot and Sweet flavors? These varieties will leave your family wanting to swap for sausage all fall and winter too!
I chose to make this one dish Un-Stuffed Bell Pepper Skillet with ground sausage instead of ground beef. If you like traditional stuffed green peppers you are going to love this easy dish. What I love is how easy it is to prepare and with only 1 dish I love the clean up too!
My family really loved the switch that I made, and I bet your family will too! If you want, you can sub the petite diced tomatoes for petite diced tomatoes with chilies to kick up the spice a little more! Best of all you could use brown rice (just cook it a little longer) or quinoa in this recipe too! If you are eating Low Carb, you can substitute the rice for cauliflower that you rice with a grater.
Stuffed Pepper Skillet
- 1 lb Johnsonville Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 whole green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 whole yellow bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 whole orange bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 whole red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic minced (your choice)
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes with juices
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups broth of your choice
- 1 cup white long grain rice uncooked
- 2 cups shredded cheese mozzarella or Parmesan
- Brown ground Italian sausage in a skillet and cook 5–7 minutes, breaking into small pieces as it browns.
- Add onions, bell peppers and garlic in with sausage stir to combine and cover with lid.
- Once the peppers become tender and the onions are translucent, carefully drain grease from skillet. This takes approx 10 mins.
- Return to stove reducing heat to medium.
- (You can also use 2 cups prepared minute rice instead of using long grain rice) If you use minute rice then omit the broth as you won't need the extra liquid to cook the rice)
- Stir in diced tomatoes with juice, broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil then stir in uncooked long grain rice.
- Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir to fluff up the rice, sprinkle with shredded cheese and replace the lid.
- Remove the skillet from the heat but leave covered for about 10 minutes before serving.
Best of all my family LOVED this easy dish! We LOVE stuffed peppers, and everyone thought this was better than my traditional recipes. With the ease of preparing this is one skillet I am not sure I will ever go back!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Johnsonville Sausage however all opinions are 100% our own.
Sausage Recipes You May Enjoy:
Breakfast Sausage Tortilla Cups
Melissa is a football and soccer mom who has been married to her best friend for 24 years. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.
I love this idea! My kids never eat the pepper, so it goes to waste. I bet they would love your recipe for unstuffed bell pepper skillet