I love this Watermelon Cake. I think this would be the perfect cake for parties this summer! Also cute for Memorial Day, July 4th or Labor Day!
It isn’t hard to make or decorate. It does take a little time, but it is so worth it in the end! I love the subtle watermelon flavor that the gelatin gives the cake.
If you want to add some “seeds” to your watermelon you could add chocolate chips to your batter. Another fun way to customize this cute cake. I love how easy it is to bake and you could easily make this gluten free when you use a gluten free cake mix.
Be sure to give this cake a try this summer! It tastes amazing and is super cute! I love serving it with the flag napkins.
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cooking oil or applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups prepared vanilla or cream cheese frosting, divided
- Red and green food coloring
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Add some red food coloring if you want it to be brighter in color.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons frosting for decorating. Place 1-1/4 cups frosting in a bowl; tint red. Tint remaining frosting green.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup red frosting to within 1/4 in. of edges. Top with second cake. Frost top with remaining red frosting to within 3/4 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with green frosting.
- Cut a 1/4-in. hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag. Fill the bag with reserved white frosting. Pipe around top edge of cake where green and pink frostings meet. For seeds, insert chocolate chips upside down into cake top.
Melissa’s friend Krystal Kelley made this cake, and we credit her for the decorating skills. She said it was easy to do and tastes amazing!
You May Be Interested in These Ideas:
Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
STOCKPILINGMOMS FAVORITE DESSERTS
Dirt Dessert is Perfect for Family Reunions
Hot Fudge Ice Cream Delight is one of my family favorites!
Death By Chocolate Trifle Dessert is for all our chocolate lovers out there.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake only takes 15 minutes to prepare and then throw it in the oven!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites for all the chocolate chip cookie lovers! Who doesn’t like a chocolate chip cookie?
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.
Melissa is a football and soccer mom who has been married to her best friend for 24 years. She loves sharing recipes, travel reviews and tips that focus on helping busy families make memories.