Mexican Style Quinoa with Grilled Chicken is so flavorful and packed full of protein! Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a fabulous little grain – which actually is a seed – that is packed with nutrients and is naturally gluten-free. Quinoa is incredibly versatile, absorbing flavors and transforming with the ingredients its cooked with, and acts very similarly to rice.
This Mexican Style Quinoa with Grilled Chicken recipe brings together classic Mexican flavors, like smoked paprika, chili powder and cumin, with fresh, crunchy vegetables for a perfect summer meal.
Mexican Style Quinoa with Grilled Chicken
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- Juice of ½ a lime
- ½ red bell pepper julienned
- ½ cup frozen corn roasted
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2, 4 oz grilled chicken breasts thinly sliced (or other grilled protein of your choice - shrimp and steak would both be tasty!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the frozen corn with 1 teaspoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 - 15 minutes, tossing a few times throughout the cooking process, until the kernels are slightly browned and crispy.
- While the corn is cooking, prepare the quinoa by bringing 1 cup water to boil.
- Add the quinoa, cover and turn down to simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Once the water has been absorbed, remove the quinoa from the heat and let cool, still covered, for another 5 minutes.
- When the quinoa has cooled, fluff it gently with a fork and transfer it to a medium bowl.
- Add the corn, bell peppers, spices and lime juice and toss the ingredients together,
- Top with spring onions and grilled chicken, maybe a dash of hot sauce (if you can handle the extra heat) and serve warm.
About The Author
Written by Alyssa Rimmer is a gluten-free food blogger who loves experimenting with healthy and whole-food ingredients. Since removing gluten from her diet, Alyssa has truly discovered her passion and embraced her new lifestyle. Alyssa shares her many gluten-free recipes, many of which are focused on the superfood quinoa, and discusses her journey to living a more fulfilled and healthy life.
Gluten Free Recipes:
Interested in Freezer Cooking?
We have a Freezer Cooking 101 Series that you may enjoy!
Stockpiling Moms can be found in all your favorite places. Hop on over to Instagram and follow the fun. We love posting memes, family fun, travel, and whatever we are feeling that day. Pinterest is also an amazing place to visit Stockpiling Moms. This is where you can pin all your favorite articles from our Food, Travel & Lifestyle Blog.